Marathon, Portage and Wood Counties are tobacco and nicotine free.
The Central Wisconsin Tobacco Free Coalition strives to increase health through education and advocacy, creating a community environment that encourages tobacco and nicotine free living.
Our mission is accomplished by increasing knowledge and application of evidence-based practices. Our coalition works with the Tobacco Prevention and Control Program (TPCP) to address the burden of tobacco use and exposure in Marathon, Portage and Wood counties.
Together we work to prevent the initiation of tobacco use by adults and youth, eliminate the exposure to secondhand smoke, promote the use of evidence-based strategies to treat tobacco dependence, and address tobacco-related disparities.
Together our partners, coalition members, and the Tobacco Prevention and Control Program (TPCP) have reduced Wisconsin’s smoking rate. We accomplished this by advocating for clean indoor and workplace air policies, increasing the unit price of products, reducing youth access to tobacco products, and promoting Quit Line resources.
Our smoking rates are at all-time lows:
- 4.7% of Wisconsin high school students currently smoke conventional cigarettes
- 16% of Wisconsin adults currently smoke
But, we still have work to do:
- Tobacco use remains the #1 cause of preventable disease and death.
- Tobacco still costs WI $4.7 billion in health care and lost productivity
- Flavored products are more accessible and are appealing to youth
- E-cigarette use is at an all time high with 1 in 5 high school students currently using and 1 in 9 middle school students that have ever tried
- 7,900 adults die each year in WI from smoking
- Jenna Flynn, Public Health Educator & Coalition Coordinator, Marathon County Health Department
- Judy Burrows, Chronic Disease Prevention Director, Marathon County Health Department
- Gary Garske, Health Officer, Portage County Health and Human Services
- Kristie Rauter-Egge, Health Promotion Supervisor, Wood County Health Department
Multi-Jursdiction Coalitions (MJC) Map
Click the map below to view more information (.pdf).